Sunday, August 23, 2026

I Can't

Yesterday - Turned into a shit show. Kimmy got notified before her flight from SLC to SEA that her flight from SEA to PVG (Shanghai Airport) would be delayed. Slowly, the delay kept increasing. From two hours to four hours, then nine hours. After dropping Kimmy off, I completely lost it, melting down. While driving away from the airport, I told Jesse I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t leave our eighteen-year-old daughter alone in an airport for nine hours. I immediately started looking for a seat on her flight for Jesse. He was driving. 


We ran home. Jesse ended up going ninety a few times. We threw together an overnight bag for him. I still couldn’t calm down even after we got home. I told Jesse to get to our daughter and not to leave her until she got on her flight to PVG. 

I asked Hayden to drive Jesse back to the airport. There was no way I could drive full-body sobbing. I could not calm down until Jesse sent me this picture and told me he'd made it to her. 



I took some meds to help me calm down. Jesse and Kimmy were on the same flight. We got him the last seat available. 


Before Kimmy and Jesse landed in SEA, I was notified that Kimmy’s flight from SEA to PVG was canceled. Hayden and I started looking for another flight for Kimmy. 


Jesse and Kimmy booked a flight from SEA to SFO for today. They also had to get help with her luggage. There isn’t an easy way to get luggage to people whose international flights get canceled at a place that’s supposed to be a layover. 🙄


Today: Jesse and Kimmy have arrived in SFO. He’s taking Kimmy to International in SFO and making sure she gets to her flight to Shanghai before he boards his flight home. 


---


Jesse and I have let our kids know their entire lives that if we can, we will. There isn’t anything we wouldn’t do for them, like dropping everything within minutes of leaving the airport and booking a seat on the same flight. 


Jesse and I were originally thinking he would only be with Kimmy for a nine-hour layover, then come back home. 


I would not have been ok for even a moment if Jesse hadn’t gotten to her yesterday.


Kimmy says that if she ever meets the person who canceled her flight at the last minute, she’s going to punch them in the face. 


Sadly it turned into an even worse shit show... 

No comments:

Post a Comment