Kimmy has always had her "Big Dream." She was accepted to an Ivy League school and studied neuroscience.
The first time Kimmy took the ACT and got a 23. She came home and said, "I guess I'll just have to settle and see what I get from state colleges."
I cut her off and told her, "Absolutely not." If she wanted something, Jesse and I would help and give her everything within our power.
I was online within ten minutes of that conversation looking for ACT tutoring places.
After I made some calls, Kimmy went into her room and curled up with a stuffed animal, a smile on her face and renewed hope.
Jesse and I paid the Huntsman Center $5k for tutoring, weekly ACT practice testing, and their connections to help us know the best way to apply to schools and what to do.
—-
The best money we have ever spent. Kimmy and one other student from Nuames were going to top-tier schools.
Most of her classmates wrote two or three essays and didn't get in, or didn't get much of a scholarship. Because school counselors don't actually know anything. AT ALL.
Kimmy wrote one essay. She wrote it about learning how to drive. She made it original, funny, and something that's an actual norm for a kid her age. She got accepted to every single school she applied to, and scholarship offers from each one.
We're going to be paying an arm and a leg for NYU because Ivy League schools are income-based, while state schools are merit-based. NYU gave her a 20% scholarship. So it helps a little. But she got into her dream school, her Early Decision pick.
No comments:
Post a Comment